Saturday, March 29, 2014

In Like a Lion, Out Like a Lamb

A rainy Spring day is the perfect time for crafting, reminiscing, and bringing the Spring flowers indoors for a lovely luncheon!
This crafty door decor is perfect for a rainy day!  Reminds me of how much my youngest son loved wearing his rain boots!
My Dear Aunt Dora celebrated her 88th Birthday this last week of March.  She has a big piece of my heart from my childhood years and through the adult milestones in my life.  My Aunt Dora is a gifted baker and homemaker.  She decorated wedding cakes in our small hometown and made many of my birthday cakes, including a Doll Cake for my 2nd birthday
 and a Carousel Cake for my 3rd birthday. She hosted my engagement party in her home and made a gorgeous cake for my fiancĂ© and me.
 In my married years she made my sons their Baptismal Blankets and crocheted beautiful afghans for my toddlers.
 When I moved from California to Indiana, I was horribly homesick and she mailed me many of her cake decorating materials, including cookbooks, cake pans, recipes and handwritten tips.  I will always cherish these items she handed down to me and think of her every Spring when I bring out my madeleine cookie molds and lambie cake pan.
This last week of March brings special meaning to the phrase "In Like A Lion, Out Like A Lamb."  I'm dedicating this post to my Dear Aunt Dora and remembering her with this lovely Springtime Table.  The toile tablecloth adds rustic charm.  The white milk glass vases filled with Spring flowers suggests a feminine touch.  Seed packets at each place setting, inspire guests to start Spring gardening.

 Fill the blue tinted  glasses with a Spring cocktail or old fashioned lemonade.
I am happy to share a favorite recipe from my Aunt Dora...

Top O' The Stove Potato Casserole
serves 4-6
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/4 C diced onion
1/2 tomato diced
4 oz can whole Ortega Chiles
1/4-1/2 can tomato sauce
1/2 cup cubed Longhorn cheese
salt and pepper to taste
In a small bowl mash chiles and set aside
fry potatoes, onions, tomatoes for 3-4 minutes
add 1/4 cup water and cover to steam on low heat approx 3 min.
add mashed chiles, tomato sauce and water to cover potatoes
add cheese and seasoning and simmer uncovered til potatoes are cooked crisp tender - not mushy
"This dish goes well with tuna patties or served with eggs & tortillas for a Mexican breakfast!"



HAPPY BIRTHDAY AUNTIE DORA!


No comments: