Sunday, February 23, 2014

My Recipe Box

For the past 27 years I have had a Bon Appetit subscription.  I look forward to each issue and make a point of trying at least one recipe, sometimes an entire holiday dinner each month.  I remember making my sister the cover recipe from June 1994: Lemon Wedding Cake with Blackberry Sauce for her Bridal Shower.  It had lemon curd filling and cream cheese icing and that blackberry sauce was amazing!  That cake and so many other fabulous creations came from the pages of those treasured issues.

I recently came across a family favorite, #Bananas Foster, from Bon Appetit, August 1993.  I've made it so often that I ripped the page out of the magazine and have it in my family recipe box.  I hope you give it a try and love it as much as we do.   So, from my recipe box to yours, enjoy!

Bananas Foster
4 servings

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup dark rum
1/4 cup creme de banana liqueur
4 ripe bananas, peeled and sliced
   Vanilla ice cream

Stir butter with sugar and cinnamon in heavy large skillet over medium heat until melted.
Add dark rum and liqueur and simmer until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.  Add bananas and stir to coat.  Scoop ice cream into dishes.  Spoon sauce and bananas over.
Serve immediately.

2 comments:

Raz said...

I made this in August 1994 -- for my own wedding!

It's an amazing cake.

raz said...

My dad even made a copper tiered stand like the one in the picture. :-)