Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Fat Tuesday and My Birthday on the same day? Let The Good Times Roll!

This year I share my birthday with the Mardi Gras celebration known as #Fat Tuesday.  Seems cruel, doesn't it?  Or, I could look at it as permission to celebrate BIG on my birthday! 
I will embrace the saying made popular by the Louisiana French, "Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!"  Translation:  "Let The Good Times Roll!"
I have always wanted to visit New Orleans, aka, "The Big Easy."  My first stop would be the Cafe Du Monde, for a cup of coffee and a few beignets.  A tour of the mysterious, charming city on a horse drawn carriage would be next on my itinerary.  Then back to the hotel to rest up for a fun filled night!  A Hurricane Cocktail, or two, some spicy jambalaya and I'd be ready for a parade through the French Quarter!  This is my kind of party town!  Why have I not visited yet?  (sigh)
My first experience with Mardi Gras was in grad school.  My site supervisor was from Louisiana and she invited me to her home for a Mardi Gras Party.  It was an evening I will never forget.  I loved the jambalaya, the decorative masks, the infectious music and the King Cake, which was not only delicious but a lesson in tradition.  The cake is made in the round and a tiny baby doll is hidden inside.  If you find the baby doll in your slice of cake it is said you will have a year of good luck and it is your duty to bring the King Cake to next year's party.  This year I will attempt to make my own King Cake and spicy Jambalaya.  New Orleans has a reputation for great cocktails, and my favorite is the #Hurricane.  I hosted a Mardi Gras Game Night a few years ago and served this cocktail that lives up to it's name!


Hurricane Cocktail
Serves 8
16 oz dark rum
16 oz light rum
16 oz passion fruit juice
4 oz fresh lime juice
8 oz orange juice
8 Tablespoons grenadine
ice cubes
8 slices of orange
16 cherries
1.  Pour all ingredients except orange slices and cherries into a shaker with ice.  Shake well.
2.  Strain the mixture over ice cubes into Hurricane glasses.
3.  Garnish with orange slices and cherries.
Let The Good Times Roll!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love your post! Thanks for sharing so much of your personal fun and creativity. The Mardi Gras itinerary I'd love to experience.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Thank you!! I hope you continue to enjoy my blog!