Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Home(made) For The Holidays

The holidays are all special to me but Christmas has such deep, loving, lasting memories of family and friends.  I love all the tradition that Christmas holds.  Attending Christmas Eve Mass, Looking at the Lights, Baking, Decorating the Tree and the House, Christmas Carols, Family Time, Parties, Warm Sweaters, Boots, Fires, Hot Cocoa, Gift Wrapping…..I Love It All!

Managing my time during the holidays can be tricky.  I find myself running to the stores more often than I should, putting gift baskets together last minute and planning my Christmas party outfit minutes before my husband heads outside and starts honking the horn to hurry me along.

To save some shopping time and de-stress, I like to give homemade baked goods and home crafted gifts.  I try to plan ahead with my crafts but recently found myself crafting an hour before our Game Night Christmas Dinner.  The easier the craft the more fun and relaxing it is for me.  I am sharing a few of this season's crafts with you and hope you will try one or two!


Coasters for Game Night!  A fun gift that can be personalized and enjoyed year round!  I added these to  a gift basket with a bottle of Peppermint Kahlua, chocolate shot glasses, Kahlua candies and peppermint bark.  I assembled four coasters in less than an hour!  Materials included Scrabble tiles, thin squares of cork - cut to size, gorilla glue or craft glue and scissors.

Another fun craft that took me less than an hour was a Peppermint Christmas Tree.  Materials included an 18 inch styrofoam cone, red garland, glue, push pins, Ghirardelli Peppermint Bark and the candy bag!

Glue the garland in an upward spiral from base to top, pin each candy packet to the tree in same upward spiral, cut the candy bag into long strips and curl, tie strips together and fasten to tree top!  I liked this so much I decided to keep it instead of taking it to a White Elephant Gift Exchange.

A gift for all ages that will be loved and never regifted is a Spool O'Ca$h!
The empty wooden spools were too cute to discard and perfect for winding some cash around them!  lightly tape the dollar bills to each other and secure in place with some jute.  Perfect stocking stuffer or gift wrap accessory - better than a bow!  (I found the wooden spools at TJ Maxx on the Christmas ribbon rack)

An old favorite that I enjoyed making with my sons when they were small were Walnut Reindeer ornaments!  

Walnut Shell halves, brown card stock, red felt for ears, small red pom pom for Rudolph's nose and small google eyes.  Glue Gun to adhere antlers, ears, face and hanging ribbon/twine to walnut half.  Ours are 15 years old and still look like new!  They adorn our tree every year.  

Start a family tradition of making home-made crafts each year for gifts or decor.  Crafting Parties with friends or Family Night Fun, take some time out to make some memories!  

Merry Christmas From My Home To Yours!

No comments: