Thursday, November 6, 2014

Come To The Table

Autumn is a beautiful time of year to enjoy a new season of flavors, fellowship, and a celebration of God's bounty.  The cooler weather makes me think of comfort foods.  I find myself pulling out my Mom's recipes for that taste of home.
Tonight's dinner will include an old family recipe for lasagna.  We'll start our feast with a meat and cheese plate and move into the dining room for a wonderful Autumn Pumpkin Lentil Soup, an Italian Salad, Lasagna, Garlic Bread and finish up with Cannoli and Triple Chocolate Gelato.

I set the table in Fall Colors and I always like warm candlelight at the table.  I'm happy to share a simple craft for individual candle lit place settings.
A green apple with the top carved out to fit a tea light.  A fun, fast craft that adds a warm glow to the table.

I mix and match my plates and bowls for a more casual, comfortable feel at the table.  It also adds interest and hopefully some inspiration to pull out those dishes that have colors and patterns that lend themselves to the season.

Making the dinner table and the menu look fancy but taking shortcuts in the execution is the trick to less stress when you entertain.
A simple appetizer helps to set the mood for a comfortable evening.  I chose a favorite meat and cheese tray reminiscent of a local winery.
Salami, pepperoni, a selection of cheeses, fruits, nuts and breads and a bottle of wine or a cold beer is an easy, colorful appetizer that is a feast for the eyes and full of flavor.

The Harvest Pumpkin Lentil Soup is a pre measured dry mix from Huber Winery in Southern Indiana. I added chicken broth, red wine, pumpkin puree, carrots and water to the dry mix of lentils, rice and seasonings and let it simmer for a couple of hours.  It was fabulous!  

My Mom's lasagna recipe is one that I love, especially in the Fall.  Selecting a familiar entree allowed me to feel comfortable with the preparation and to anticipate how it should look and taste.  

Cannoli is one of my favorite desserts that reminds me of my early married years living in New Jersey -  A crispy, fried shell filled with creamy goodness!
 In New Jersey I had lots of local bakeries with plenty of Cannoli.  Living in the Midwest is a bit different.   I tend to hoard Cannoli shells when I find them at Cost Plus World Imports or other specialty food stores.  Cannoli filling is rather easy to make and looks fancy when it's piped into the Cannoli shell and dipped in mini chocolate chips or chopped pistachios.  I got my recipe from Pinterest - http://www.craftaholicsanonymous.net/homemade-cannoli-filling-recipe
If you are lucky enough to live near an Italian Bakery, then by all means buy your Cannoli!
I love shortcuts and selecting a store-bought Gelato (keeping with my Italian theme) is a real time saver. 
  
Enjoy this season of Thanksgiving and share the goodness!



For Health and Food
For love and friends;
For everything
Thy goodness sends
We thank Thee.

{Ralph Waldo Emerson}










2 comments:

Unknown said...

You need to teach me how to make lasagna. Mirek loves it, but I never known how to prepare it, and yours sound amazing.

Unknown said...

I would be happy to share with you! Matt visited this weekend and loved the leftovers! He said it's the best lasagna ever! :)